The end of the year is nearly upon us, and, if we do say so ourselves, it’s been a flavor-filled 12 months. We rounded up some fun facts and stats to prove it to you, from your most-gifted item to the most popular DoorDash and Caviar Pairing. Here are 15 things we learned about the ordering habits of our diners this year.
1. The most popular cuisine is Italian. No huge surprise here, when Italian all-stars like Via Carota, Barano, and The Star are available for delivery. And your most ordered-pasta dish was the rigatoni carbone from Parm.
2. The order that’s increasing in popularity the fastest is bubble tea. You ordered 66% more bubble tea in 2022 than in 2021! Some of your favorite spots for bubble tea were Boba Guys, Boba Gen, and Mr. Boba.
3. The most-ordered entrée in the whole country is the Signature Double Cheeseburger from Small Cheval. For anyone who’s had the pleasure, this makes perfect sense.
4. And the most-ordered side in the country came from the same place: Small Cheval’s Golden Fries! There were many thousands of orders of these crispy fries delivered in 2022.
5. One menu item on the rise? L’Artusi’s bucatini. Orders grew 3,072% year over year. The bucatini with pancetta, tomatoes, chiles, and pecorino is one of the handful of pastas that has remained on the menu here for years, and for very good reason.
6. The most popular late-night food item? Past 10 p.m., the most popular item to order on DoorDash is the cheesesteak from Pat's King of Steaks. Good work, Philadelphia.
7. And the most popular cuisine to order after 10 p.m. is Mexican food. Tacombi in Brooklyn, Lonesome Rose in Chicago, and La Mission in the San Francisco Bay Area were a few of your top late-night Mexican spots.
8. Hot or iced coffee? Iced! You order iced coffee more often than hot.
9. Bagel or doughnut? Bagel! You prefer bagels to doughnuts.
10. Most popular sushi roll? Spicy tuna, followed by California, and then salmon.
11. How generous were DoorDash diners this year? Very! A whopping 13,648 orders were sent out as gifts.
12. The most popular item to gift? The Two Chip Chocolate Chip Cookie from NYC’s Levain Bakery. (Psst. If you haven’t finished your holiday shopping, they ship nationwide.)
Speaking of dessert, the most popular pie in the country was the Bang! Bang! Honey Pie from Chicago’s Honey Butter Fried Chicken.
12. And the top item you shipped nationally was the Butter Cookie Box from Carlo's Bakery.
13. Have you tried DoorDash Pairings? It’s a feature we launched this year, in which you can add something (usually a dessert or beverage) to your DoorDash order from a nearby vendor. Your top dessert add-on was the cookies and cream ice cream from Van Leeuwen Ice Cream, and your top alcohol add-on was the Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc from Wine Exchange.